PC800 Vetter Fairing

PC800 P1 C30 Fairing

Although I already had a Vetter Windjammer in fairly good condition, I couldn’t resist buying a second one on Bay at 99p. This was black and without lower sections, a bit rough but with a good windscreen. I thought it would be useful for experimenting with, trying out ways to fit a Vetter to a PC800. The chrome plated trim was badly corroded so I discarded it.

With it propped up in front of the bike on some bits of wood on top of an old paraffin stove, the first obstacle to fitting it was the thermostat housing on the right of the bike. Now would have been a good time to stand back and mull over alternative positions for the thermostat, but with enthusiasm unleashed I set about the inner panels of the fairing with an electric jig-saw. The fairing is made of ABS or similar plastic, which fuses back together behind the saw blade unless it’s done slowly so as not to generate any heat.

To get the fairing to sit at the right angle to the bike (with the base tilted about 7 degrees up at the front, according to examples on the Vetter website), I cut a couple of wooden wedges and screwed them to the base. A few more bits of wood raised the fairing to about the right height.

PC800 P1 C02 Fairing

With a hole cut for the thermostat, the mirror mounts either side of the fairing subframe were now in the way. I cut holes in the inner panel for them to go through, but it was clear that the outer parts of those mirror mounts would have to go. I retained as much as possible in case they came in useful for attaching the fairing to.

PC800 P1 C14 Fairing

The headlight bracket that projected at the front of the subframe also had to go, as it hit the rear of the headlight bowl in the fairing.

PC800 P1 C10 Fairing

The hose from the radiator to the thermostat was in the way, so I took it off, a problem to resolve later. The front cross-bar of the subframe still prevented the fairing from going as far back as I wanted:

PC800 P1 C06 Fairing

Having got nearly there, I decided to cut away as much of the subframe as necessary, and hope my welding skills wouldb e up to the job of making it good – I would have to weld on brackets for the fairing anyway.

After much hacking away at the fairing and subframe, it finally sat in the right place. I’d cut away a lot more of the fairing inner than necessary in my attempts to retain most of the subframe, but I decided to keep this Vetter on the bike, and patched up the inside with some of the bits cut off, using a soldering iron. Luckily most of the repairs are hidden. Modifying the other Vetter more carefully could wait until I had nothing better to do. Meanwhile, there was a subframe to fix up, a radiator hose to sort out, and the rest of the bike to do.

PC800 P1 C12 Fairing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

13 + 11 =