My naked ST1100 passed its MoT test at the second attempt on 12 May 2016. Here it is outside the test station with an unmolested Pan behind it. Mine had failed on notchy steering bearings, which I got the bike shop to replace with taper roller ones. They also did an engineer’s report to persuade the insurance company that it had been repaired to a road-worthy standard after having been an insurance write-off (in 2007!). Thanks to Full Trottle Motorcycles of Warwick for being very helpful.
The bodywork paint is Halford’s Volkwagen Pacific Blue Pearlescent from rattle cans, with a slightly too-thin coat of petrol resistent lacquer on top. I had intended to change the handlebars for wider ones, but the old ones seem OK, and keeping them saves replacing the brake lines with longer ones. It’s more fun to ride than I remembered, but I miss the ability to bung a change of clothes in the panniers, now that it’s got no luggage capacity. I took it to the Rugby Bike Fest last Sunday, and had to carry my riding gear around in a rucsac. The bike got a few curious looks, but it’s not in show condition, with the paint on the frame and exhaust looking rather tired.
The tyre deflation problem on the PC800 was solved with Slime in the back tyre (thanks to my friend Robin’s suggestion – may your Harley’s troubles be over). The temperature gauge was fixed by running a wire from the thermostat housing to the frame to restore the temperature sensor circuit. I’ve cut two vent holes in the old windscreen (and cracked it again in the process) which has helped with the problem of the exhaust being sucked forward by the low pressure area behind the fairing. It passed its MoT test first time again! It looks quite scruffy beside the nice new paint on the ST1100, but riding is more of a priority than appearances this summer.